Journal September 22, 1963

Sisters McMeen and Mumford were key members of our happy Mission Staff group in 1963
(Later photo thanks to Gordon Jones)

September 22 (continued)—isn’t up to speed at all and President Hinckley wasn’t satisfied with the few pricing data with which I had been able to arm him. He must have felt unprepared to go down to Nancy all alone to defend the status quo.

So, anyway, President Hinckley stopped me on the main staircase about 8 a.m. and said, simply, “Elder Anderson, I think you’re going to have to come with us to Belgium. We’re leaving at 10.” Then he told me to plan to be away from Paris until Thursday; so I started scurrying around something fierce, so as to be ready to go.

On the way to Charleroi (where the first conferences were to be held), the President told me that my task would be to gather any facts that could help
demonstrate the superiority of the Belgian printing situation [244] over the proposed Swiss one.1 So, when we got there, I went straight to the main station and took the train to Liège. When I got there, I phoned to Brother Deghaye giving him, alas, the name of another train station in Liège. He jumped in his car and came to get me. Finally found me, a half-hour later. After many greetings and apologies, we went to his place and started talking about figures and conditions. At the end of the evening, I had the pieces of what President Hinckley hoped I would get. So I went and sacked out with the missionaries of the avenue Digneffe.2

The next day was the Sabbath, and I attended Sunday School at Liège and harangued the members at length about their responsibilities toward l’Étoile. Then, at 2 p.m., I went to Seraing for their Sacrament meeting after a delicious dinner (chicken and mushrooms) at the Deghayes’. Then (after two “Big Mikes” with the missionaries) [247] I returned with the elders to their place to organize my notes for section to the President the next day.

(Yet another parenthesis—this time a lesson that I never want to forget: Returning from Seraing to Liège, I took the tramway. Let’s note here that since I left the Hinckleys at Charleroi, I’d done everything by myself, without the habitual presence of a companion. Made me feel really strange, but I was acting on the President’s orders, and so I felt confident that …More, next page…
1The journal doesn’t report that I asked him at this point whom I should take with me as a companion. He looked around and said, “I don’t see anybody we can spare. You’ll be a good boy, won’t you?”
2It took some talking to convince them that I really was a missionary, showing up as I did without the customary companionate appendage. 2It took some talking to convince them that I really was a missionary, showing up as I did without the customary companionate appendage.
Back a Page
Such a Life
First Mission:
section start
First Mission:
page index
page index
Next Page
Welcome Stories Sections Such a Life People Places Site Search Do You Know?
Updated Aug 2014 [142journal.htm] Page 32-170